Nobody believes me when I say that the 80 days thing is a coincidence. But it is.
We leave the day after Isabel's last exam and return the day before the first full day of school. 80 days.
Actually from take off to touch down at Winnipeg International is 79 days and 20 hours, but door to door from our house... precisely 80 days.

And a bit about the backstory. In 1993 after three years in veterinary practice Lorraine and I quit our jobs and backpacked around the world for eight months, doing everything from living in a cave in Greece (a very nice cave mind you) to camel trekking across the Rajastani desert to celebrating Christmas in Hong Kong to island hopping in Thailand to volcano climbing in Indonesia to living with a family in Samoa to... well, the list does go on and on. Everyone said, "Wow, that was the trip of a lifetime!" To which we responded, "Nooo! It can't be the only time we do that! It just can't be." We swore we would do something similar again when we had kids. It's 22 years later. Isabel is 13. Alexander is 10.
It's time.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Two Days To Departure

This first post is a boring test post and a way to answer a question I've been asked a couple of times: how do you pack for almost three months away to destinations as diverse as Indonesia, Istanbul and Ireland? The short answer is "carefully".
The long answer is below in a photo:

That is everything I am taking. Everything. Ok, almost. The only exceptions are the sleeping bag I'll need in Botswana and Namibia, the suit I'll buy in London so that they'll let me into the restaurants on the Queen Mary, the stack of clean new US dollars I'll need in Zimbabwe (stay tuned...) and the credit card I'll need everywhere else.

Thanks to the miracle of the modern compression bag - basically a fancy zip-lock - all of the above, except what I'm wearing at any given point, fits into this:


The backpack is less than half the allowed carry-on size. But it has the weight density of a small neutron star and if I end up buying anything I'll have to bribe the kids to carry it for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment